WoW Contract

Well, I spent about 6 hours discussing/brainstorming/writing with Stephie, Mom, Andrew, and CJ about this, and I’ve decided/concluded that I am going to play WoW. However, my main reasons for not playing WoW were:

1. I hate HATE it when cute girls come over and want to do something, and I end up telling them “I can’t I’m in an instance.”

2. I often can’t think of all the other things I was going to do, because my mind keeps coming back to WoW. Thus all sorts of real-life productive things I was going to do get postponed, or delayed indefinitely. When I fail to do real-life things because of WoW, WoW goes.

3. I tend to play addictively (more than I’d like).

To combat these, I’ve decided to write up this contract, which I plan to share with many so they’ll hold me to it. It’s easy to break rules one’s never set. But if you’re one of my WoW friends who wants me to play and you’re reading this, you might want to help kick me off, or make sure I’m sticking to my guidelines. Because if I feel I’m not advancing my real-life enough, I’ll cut WoW out again.

1. If someone comes over and wants to do something in real-life, and I genuinely want to go with them, but I feel obligated to stay because I’m in a raid/instance/etc, I WILL leave mid instance, right before the big boss attempt, after we’re already saved, whatever. I’ll be that jerk that leaves everyone high and dry. I don’t anticipate this happening terribly often, particularly during Christmas break when everyone goes home for the holiday. But just consider it a standing risk that anytime you bring me to an instance or raid, I may bail. You’ve been warned. Sorry in advance J.

2. I can’t get on WoW until I’ve been out of bed and going for a full hour. Giving me time to read my scriptures, and review my to-do list for non-WoW things I’d like to do that day.

3. I must spend 3 hours a day doing stuff on my to-do list (or at least other non-WoW things I deem useful). If you’re interested, my current list is at the bottom.

4. I won’t start with a time limit on daily WoW provided I feel like I’m being productive enough. However it’s a definite step if I feel I’m overplaying. I’ll use the parental controls built into WoW, likely giving the password and access to someone besides myself or any WoW related friends.

And I think that’s it! Thanks for reading :P


Current To-Do


1. Modify resume / Apply for jobs

2. Replace back rest / Follow up on new chair

3. Study for tests

4. Read books (one second after, the overton window, any religious books, empires, flatland, Joseph Smith stuff)

5. See the doctor about your toe

6. Brainstorm/attempt ways to empty your own pee bag

7. Record music

8. Christmas shopping

9. Social security income data gathering

10. Sell back textbooks

11. for fun programming projects (CS235, mysql, facebook app, game)

12. prepare Sunday lesson

13. improve website

14. get recorded speaking message

15. magnify calling (talks to teachers, roll)

16. come up with new speeches

17. Groceries

No comments:

Post a Comment