Wednesday, March 07, 2012
- Mom made an interesting comment. Some scary laws have been passing which have the potential to diminish religious freedom, and Mom said “I always thought persecution in the last days meant everyone persecuting Mormons, but really it’s probably all religion being persecuted.”
Monday, March 12, 2012
- Hailey (age 3) said family prayer in her "princess voice" last night. Cutest thing ever.
- Whenever hear a dial tone now my brain sings “I need your arms around me I need to feel your touch.” And I’m disappointed when the drum line doesn’t kick in.
- I wish I could read one book and listen to a different book at the same time, it’d be easier to catch up on the books I’d like to that way.
- 2 Nephi 26:29 excellent definition of priestcraft. On this basis, part of why I don’t try to make a living on public speaking is because for me it’d be priestcraft.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
- Jacob 3:5 the Lamanites were more righteous in some ways than the members. I’ll bet this is true of pride/being judgemental a lot today. Members seem to be pretty bad.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
- Just signed papers agreeing to spend more money than I’ve ever spent in my entire life by a large margin. But in a few months I’ll have a new van I can drive!
Friday, March 16, 2012
- Went to the caucus meeting last night and actually really enjoyed it! I also found that rather than knowing like 5% of government processes I really know like 0.03% of government processes haha. I think it'd be cool to be a county delegate someday though.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
- Backup up your computer is hard when you’re a digital packrat L
Saturday, March 24, 2012
- If I ever feel bad about how rarely I update my journal I’ll just read Omni, they update like every 50 years!
- Omni 1:25 has no seed to pass on to? Do you think if he had a daughter we would have had a section written by a female in the BoM?
Sunday, March 25, 2012
- Hmm, not much to blog. I reactivated my LDSPlanet subscription and have been having some fun conversations and a date so far, but nothing of extreme note.
- Temple miles! I should list these every time I post haha, but I don’t. I have them recorded somewhere so meh. That being said 513.4, 381.9, 294.2, 301.7, 167.8, 308.4, 343.4 (study), 379.5, 428.8, 322.7, 458.8, 441.5, 237.1, 612.0, 138.9, 533.4.
- I’ve had to go later in the week a few times due to speaking engagements or the like, and I don’t like having to wait until the weekend haha. It doesn’t make sense why it’s any different but I prefer early in the week. That’s why some of the listed miles spike from 237 to 612 and back though.
- Also, I’ve decided I’m not taking institute on a Wednesday again, or a Tuesday for that matter. If I get a speaking opportunity outside of Sunday it’s almost always one of those two days.
Friday, March 30, 2012
- Mosiah 3:12 I really respect people who make good choices without the gospel, I feel like it’s the only reason I do most the things I do, and some days it’s harder than others. Today is a hard day haha.
- Mosiah 3:19 another verse I’m failing at lately. I struggle with faith that I’ll get to have an eternal companion in this life. I feel like I can keep pushing forward with faith and getting hurt when I don’t get what I’m hoping for, or I can just not expect to have any success any time soon, but that feels like lack of faith to me. Neither scenario sounds terribly appealing. What I need to do is keep trying with faith, but try not to get hurt when it’s still not time yet.
Monday, April 02, 2012
- My team lead quit today to be a stay at home mom! And Aaron (the only other developer by profession on my team) is moving to a different team at the end of the month! It’ll just be me and people that came to dev from QA if they don’t hire anyone soon :/ and they’ve already been looking for a good while. Work’s gunna be hard the next while it seems haha.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012
- Ok wow, I had a bunch of notes on my phone. I should date them, because I have almost no idea when they were. But you don’t really care which day I wrote them down anyway, do you?
- The scriptures say “that men ‘might’ have joy.” Hard times are normal. We aren’t guaranteed constant joy even when living right.
- "And it came to pass" not “and it came to stay”. Trials happen, but they pass too.
- Only when we've reached a boundary can we stretch our boundaries. If we play small our boundaries shrink to accommodate us.
- Do not confuse motion for progress. A rocking horse moves a lot, but goes nowhere.
- Move! The Lord can't steer a parked car.
- Most people’s misperceptions of BYU rules is that they are not “right or wrong” rules, they’re “smart vs stupid” rules. Curfew isn’t a sin, and BYU isn’t saying it’s a sin to stay out late, it’s a smart guideline though.
- “One reason it's so easy to overuse digital activities,” says Ken Knapton, “an Internet safety expert, is that they lack the kind of natural boundaries that help us moderate other activities. A child stops playing softball when his or her arm gets tired or when it gets too dark to see the ball. It's much easier to ignore the subtle cues that tell us when it's time to stop watching funny animal videos, looking at friends' Facebook photos, or beating the next game level.”
- Great ensign talk on time wasting, had 10 signs you're 'overloading' in a digital world.
- I’ve noticed I seem to have much shorter dating cycles now that I’m older. Both parties seem to know faster whether it’s worth pursuing or not sooner. Maybe we’re doing it wrong.
- Avoid masks that hide your true identity. The KKK did things they might not normally do because they had masks. Many places online allow you to be anonymous. –talk by Quentin L. Cook
- I realized today why I don't care for nutrition. It's too much like politics. Most everyone can agree that there is a problem, like white bread or carbonation. But everyone has a completely different solution to what you should do instead. And their solutions are always backed by completely solid scientific documented evidence, even though said evidence frequently contradicts the completely solid scientific documented evidence of another solution. Plus I live at home right now, so my mom just gives me good stuff anyway and I don't have to care.
- It's amazing how much of a book you can read without a single word registering.
- I wonder how many words per minute the different apostles speak at.
- I find that my ability to focus on scriptures or gospel talks is directly proportional to my CONSISTENT focus and effort to seek gospel principles. A micro burst of faithful focus right before conference is insufficient.
And a few conference favorites (paraphrased)
- We can’t add calculate the sums of life’s circumstances, because we don’t have all the numbers. – David S. Baxter
- The fact something is good is not always reason enough to commit time and energy to it. – Uchtdorf
- “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.” – Uchtdorf
- ‘Do your fish ever thank you for feeding them? No? Are we like that with God? ‘And ‘The attributes by which we will be judged someday are all spiritual.’ – Russell M. Nelson
- Uhh, I could just paste all my notes here. I’ll stop…