Friday, February 03, 2012
- I don’t remember what the final catalyst was for this, but I decided to start a study journal for scripture reading (and other gospel study) which I try to write at least one thought in every day, even if it seems silly or unrelated. So various of my posts might come from that too in the future. I won’t bother differentiating them from the posts only in here.
- Reading in the Eternal Marriage manual (henceforth EM) I read “The Man of Power is one who presides— By long-suffering. He waits when necessary and listens to the humblest or youngest person. He is tolerant of the ideas of others and avoids quick judgments and anger.
By gentleness. He uses a smile more often than a frown. He is not gruff or loud or frightening; he does not discipline in anger.”
This bold part stuck out to me in connection to a friends recent blog about getting angry that a girl decided to date another guy. He spent a lot of it justifying that him getting angry and lashing out at her wasn’t childish, it totally made sense and thus it was an ok thing to do. I disagree. It makes sense why he did it yes but it doesn’t make it an excusable behavior. Feeling hurt is not childish. But allowing mood fits to control our actions in the heat of the moment is childish. At least, I’m disappointed in myself when I act in such a way anyway.
- Continuing the quote…
“By love unfeigned. He does not pretend. He is sincere, giving honest love without reservation even when others are unlovable. “ EM -15
Yikes, so like, Baards, Ephraims, other people that the majority of people find awkward to be around? I could be better at this.
- “If charity is not always quick to our understanding, it may occasionally be quick to our misunderstanding. It is not charity or kindness to endure any type of abuse or unrighteousness that may be inflicted on us by others.” EM -16
GREAT quote on why we don’t need to endure terrible relationships. I’ll stash this away for female friends who are dating jerks…
Sunday, February 05, 2012
- Moroni 1:1 I Hate when I think I’m finished writing something but it turns out I have a bunch more to write haha. Sorry Moroni!
Thursday, February 09, 2012
- Moroni 8:10, it’s funny how many things children do right that we tend to lose as adults.
Saturday, February 11, 2012
- Moroni 10:4 I still need to really do this, all my attempts thus far have been short and pathetic :/
Sunday, February 12, 2012
- So… In getting back into singing post accident I got in the habit of closing my eyes to really focus on getting the sound right again methinks. At this point I really don’t need to close my eyes, I just do so out of habit. I should get over my awkwardness here.
- Doctrine and Covenants 1:17–19 (weak things of the world become strong) All attributes have pros and cons. I’ll bet turning our weaknesses to strengths is just a matter of switching the traits from their negative version to their positive version. ie:arrogance vs confidence.
Monday, February 13, 2012
- Moroni 10v23 “If ye have faith ye can do all things which are expedient unto me.” To me, faith isn’t the hard part, I know He can do all things. To me the hard part is knowing what is or isn’t “expedient unto [Him]”. Is that different?
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
- “If I were perfect there’d be no room for asking you to fill this place by my side” – Tyler Hilton, Kiss On Me
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
- “This is according to the account of Nephi or in other words, I, Nephi, wrote this record.” I love this for some reason. It’s like someone said “The adventures of this guy and his family, and they did this awesome thing, and that cool thing. This according to the account of Tim, which is TOTALLY ME!”
Thursday, February 16, 2012
- Someone at work asked “do you think phishing attacks would be more effective if they used proper spelling and grammar?” and it was an interesting question, but I think not. The people that are smart enough to care are also smart enough not to be fooled. I think the writing style of phising attacks is tailored to the target audience :).
- 1 Nephi 2:17 Sam is an example of relying on another testimony! Like in D&C 46:14. I like that because I feel like that’s me too :).
Friday, February 17, 2011
- 3:5 Have I ever been teased about my standards when they were really the Lords standards? I can’t think of any time really. I’ve heard people justifying their actions being different from mine, but never teasing me about mine. I guess people see my confidence in what I’m doing and they don’t see any point/feel the need to press me. Maybe Drew? Even him not really though.
Saturday, February 18, 2012
- Had tons of fun random dreams last night. I think my favorite was riding a ride like “the rocket” at lagoon, except it was completely invisible. Freaky awesome!
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
- 1 Nephi 7:1 I would have been so relieved when Lehi got the commandment for us to go back and bring female companionship haha
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
- My manager's eyes kept drifting down to my neckline while he was talking to me today. And I totally got to say "Hey! My eyes are up here!" spilling mustard on a white shirt has never paid off so well.
Thursday, February 23, 2012
- Laaame, I clicked on a link on Andrew’s facebook page, “gasparti nutrition new product launch” or some such, and there’s no way the picture for that “nutrition” page can be described as anything but pornography. Not cool.
- 9:2 haha “the wars aren’t in this book, THEY are in “the plates Of Nephi”. THESE are “the plates of Nephi”. I went all out naming these bad boys.”
- 10:17 what if every time we heard the prophet speak at conference we went and prayed to know the truth of the message for ourselves?
Friday, February 24, 2012
- I guess I’ve got friends on the brain tonight, and maybe it’s a tactic to delay from improving myself, but I don’t feel like I’m really struggling with these topics. I know the Lord loves me, I’m definitely not prone to emotional self abuse, etc. But here’s another one I think it’d do good of they really internalized… “In high school I did a lot of things that I am now ashamed of. I lied and stole from my friends and family, generally rebelling against everyone and everything. With a lot of help from my family, I decided to change and was able to turn things around. But even though I had changed, for years I looked back and was terribly embarrassed of who I was and what I had been. Two things helped me accept the Lord’s forgiveness and love.
First, I remembered the stories of Alma and Alma the Younger in the Book of Mormon. In both cases they were unrighteous as youth and then changed their lives, both becoming great prophets. (See Mosiah 18, 27.) I realized the Lord would not have allowed them to be prophets if He did not approve of the people they had become, and they were able to gain His approval despite their unrighteous past.
Second, I thought of Doctrine and Covenants 64:10: “I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.” Only the Lord has the right to decide whether or not to forgive me. I realized that I was obligated to forgive myself, just as I would be required by the Lord to forgive others.
Self-doubt and self-loathing drive the Spirit away. Once you have repented, replace your doubt and guilt with an attitude of self-forgiveness, and the ability to feel the love of God will follow.” Feb Ensign, “Questions and Answers” last submitter story.
- Another good “trials are good for you!” quote. “Surely it is better to find the goodness of God and the grace of Christ, even at the price of despair, than to risk living our lives in a moral or material complacency that has never felt any need for faith or forgiveness, any need for redemption or relief.” EM 24
Saturday, February 25, 2012
- 1 Nephi 12 – I’ll be really interested to learn what eternal law makes certain numbers significant someday.
Monday, February 27, 2012
- I'm absolutely devastated. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get over this loss... Arby's no longer has Arby Melts...
- Note to self: trying to categorize what cost you $45 from Best Buy 11 months ago is difficult to do. New resolution. Categorize all transactions more effectively. (I used to have a general “Entertainment” category. Not specific enough. Movies, Play/show, video games, other.)
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
- CJ and Michelle broke up last night. It made me notice how it seems like college age relationships that don’t progress to marriage seem to last shorter.
- “Suspicion is the new religion.” Switchfoot song, Selling the news. Sad but true!
Thursday, March 01, 2012
- So… Bryan put a playstation remote on the top of the banana rocker. Princess jumped on the bottom, and the slight rocking dislodged the controller and it fell on her. She was freaked out, and we felt a little bad, but it was super funny.
Friday, March 02, 2012
- 2 Nephi 27:3 this is how I feel if I try to get life satisfaction out of video games only.
- 27:35 an awesome day for Drew!
Saturday, March 03, 2012
- So I went and hung out at Landon’s last night, we played some Warcraft 3 custom scenarios, they were fun. I had to beg Landon to let me leave though lol, I finally resorted to asking Jo to make her husband take me home, and she unplugged the monitor haha.
- I think I’ve got a decent mental draw for weekly temple and daily scripture study. However, I feel like it’s the feeling I made some effort to work on my spirituality far more than it is the actual scripture or temple experience :). Endowment sessions specifically I miss if it’s been a couple weeks actually… I dunno, I’ll stick with it and hopefully learn to enjoy this things for better reasons.
- Haha so Cj and Michelle got back together the next day, felt weird about it, and broke up again the next next day. Sad, I did like Michelle, it’s nice to not be the only bachelor though.
- 28:24-25 I feel dangerously close to this “all is well” attitude frequently.
Sunday, March 04, 2012
- I think the most common straight forward commandment active LDS members break is swearing. It’s sad to me. It should be really easy to keep, and I’d hope it’d be an obvious differentiator from the rest of the world. But it’s not :(