Monday, April 18, 2011
- Why must humans need so much sleep? I’m not ok with this.
- We are taught to avoid the appearance of evil, but for most of my life I think I’ve worried more about appearing overzealous than I’ve worried about appearing evil. I think I was mostly striving to appear ‘normal’. I don’t want to be normal anymore though. If people deem me overzealous, whatev.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
- For the record, finding health care to come at 6:00 every day is difficult.
- Mike didn’t show again this morning, I didn’t end up out of bed till 11:00. I’m excited to move home to a stable environment with backup help.
- When sitting in my dormant car, every once in a while I hear it make some electric/mechanical shifting noises and I don’t know why.
- I fasted today in preparation for receiving my endowments tomorrow! But I think it made me moderately grumpy :P.
- Also, I have a weeks growth of beard (it looks full on day 2.5 btw) and I finally grow in evenly enough to not look terrible! All the same I’m shaving it tonight, and I’m excited about it.
Friday, April 22, 2011
- Received my endowments in the temple last night. Not sure what much more to add, I’m excited to be wearing garments J. Also, a sad 5969.4 miles since I was last inside the temple. Hopefully I’ll be able to go weekly now that I have people who can change me besides health care. Oh, also interesting to note, it’s 27.7 miles from home to work. So 55ish miles daily even if I don’t go to lunch..
- Oh! I completed our wards “read the BoM in 100 days” challenge yesterday! I was 4 days ahead even! I’m not sure what I want to do for my standard reading now…. A BoM chapter and a D&C chapter a day?...
Monday, April 25, 2011
- Hmm, difficult new goal. I started reading “how to make friends and influence people”. The first chapter is all about how critiquing people has never ever motivated someone, and how people love people that talk good all the time. Particularly this quote hit me “Speak ill of no man, but speak all the good you know of everybody” – Benjamin Franklin.
Now, I don’t think I’m terrible at tearing down people to their face. In fact I think I’m pretty good about building my female friends up, that’s the feedback they give me anyway. However, I sure can complain about ways people have wrong/annoyed me. Luckily I usually (keyword ‘usually’, I’m not perfect) complain to a friend, or my blog, but then I approach the actual person in a more constructive way. This doesn’t count as speaking ill of no man though. Thoughts? Suggestions?
- I ran into Professor Knutson at Nicoitalia pizza today, he brought up a PhD again. I talked to Drew about it… a big reason I started working is because if I do work on a masters where I study development environments, it’s probably important that I at some point actually participate in one! And I’ve definitely been getting that experience here. In fact I’ve been loving it. However If I ever get a masters it’s probably got to be before I start relying on my income bracket. I think I’ll quit my job and start a masters once CJ can move to BYU with me. At last that’s when I’ll seriously consider it again… I still feel like just a kid, the idea of me having a PhD is just super weird to me.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
- D & C 6:7 “7 Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made 'rich. Behold, he that hath 'eternal life is rich.”
So, wisdom = riches (God style) and riches (God style) = eternal life. Thus by the transitive property wisdom = eternal life. Thank you and good night.
- Oh, for scripture reading I decided it doesn’t matter where as long as it’s 5+ pages a day. So I’ll just keep track where I am in the BoM and D&C and Old Testament and read a total of 5 (or more, I always end on chapter ends) pages. I have amazing dates when I make sure to read my 5 pages that day :P.
Friday, April 29, 2011
- I like this, I don’t ever remember reading this before. D&C 10:28 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, wo be unto him that lieth to deceive because he supposeth that another lieth to deceive, for such are not exempt from the justice of God.”
- I thought this was funny, I’m such a strange person. (on FB chat)
Report · 11:06am
one more paper....
oh paper is easy to find, need me to send a sheet over?
hardy har har
so i am going to portland tonight
Report · 11:09am
Hardy har har, everyone knows Portland is not a real place, just like snipes aren't real, and you don't actually need to wipe after pooping.
- I totally would not get along with another me. I love being unique. It’s probably a result of my pride :).
- Maybe people are just worried about what HR might do to them, but I’ve noticed no one in the workplace treats me with a “hey buddy!” attitude. They all assume I’m fully confident, even if I run into people from other companies. Nice.
- Employee filling up my gas at Chevron, “Have a safe trip!”
Me, “you too!... to the… store…”
- There are many different types of nerd, I’d guess over 50% of the people I know consider themselves a nerd in one way or another. As a straight up computer nerd though, the sample of people in my life may be fairly biased in favor of nerdostiy.
Saturday, May 07, 2011
- 1125 Miles for the second endowment session.
- So someone at work complimented my humorous wit over the cubicle wall. My answer was something along the lines of “thanks, and what I love about this place is everyone has a similar wit” but it still seems a bit cocky. What I SHOULD have said is something like “thanks, but everyone else here is way wittier than I am.” Humility Corby, humility.
- I still have a hard time deciding between the line of “well, she doesn’t seem to want to spend time with me, I’ll just quit trying with her.” And “I’ll keep trying until I change her mind” haha. Most of the marriage stories I know, one person wasn’t interested in the other at first, so do I need to persist or back off with girls? Blecht.