Random Thoughts 5

By the way, I plan to post these every Sunday, for a while anyway. I also wrote less this week. Most of the time I thought of something I wanted to write I wasn't in a position to write, and then I forgot. Sad Story.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

- So I had a random thought the other day. Whenever I tell people I can’t smell, the first thing 99% of people ask is something like “then you can’t taste either?” yes I an taste, they’re separate senses for a reason! But then there’s often someone who brings up that when they plug their nose they can’t taste at all, while others say if they plug their nose it just dampens the taste but it’s still there. What if the people who can’t taste when they plug their nose have no sense of taste?

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

- I like these two quotes in the sequoia research lab. “Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, how will you ever debug it?”

- and “code like the guy maintaining your code is a serial killer who knows where you live.”

- “Fame is simply an imbalance between inbound and outbound attention, more arrows pointing in than out.” (Here Comes Everyone p91)

- I actually contributed to the research lab this week! Chuck had a presentation on Thursday and wanted some statistics on how many human developer related papers have been submitted to ICSE in the last 10 years, so I jumped on and figured it out. There are a lot of cool papers I want to read now.

Friday, November 12, 2010

- Nothing specific triggered this thought, but I think women should be feminine. I dislike how much more masculine women are becoming nowadays. Many are becoming sporty, or think it’s stupid to cry, or push people out of their life so they can prove their independence. It’s sad to me.

- Watched Skyline with Micah tonight. Gotta say, Skyline has to be one of the dumbest movies I’ve seen in a long time. Aliens coming to harvest our brains? Really? Real original. But spending time with Micah made it worth it.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

- People have mentioned that your expenses seem to inflate quickly to match your income, I believe it, although my income hasn’t fluctuated for years so I haven’t tested it personally. I found a similar principle too though. My homework motivation inflates/deflates to be just under the amount needed to get everything done. This semester has been comparatively easy, which is nice. But since it’s easy, I’ll be productive one morning and then essentially think “what should I do next? Oh wait, I’ve been productive all day, and this semester is easy, so I must be done!” when really I had more to do. Oops.

- So I mentioned a while back I’m going to consciously focus less on dating. Which I’m bad at. And honestly if the measure of succeeding at said goal is actively making plans with women less than I’ve failed. However! That wasn’t my objective really. In fact, part of the problem is I didn’t really clearly define for myself what my objective was. I now have a better idea though! I’m going to consciously suppress trains of thought like wondering what it would be like if I was together with so and so, or day-dreams about having these powerful bonding conversations with a girl. I’m instead going to focus on A, just having fun, and B, simply making sure she has fun. I’m going to be less dormant because I’m worried about what they might think and be more my spastic self because it’s more fun, and if she doesn’t like it then whatever. Basically I guess I’m going to attempt to date without allowing my focus to be actually obtaining a girlfriend. Because that being said, somehow this week I’m doing dinner with Erin Wilkes Tuesday, Jen Bybee Thursday, I’m pen-palling with Haley Cole on Facebook, and last week I met this girl Miranda at church who I’m supposed to bring to church with me today and sit by, she’s not responding to texts though… (later addendum, I knocked on her door and she came to church :) )

Sunday, November 14, 2010

- “I am convinced that there is no simple formula or technique that would immediately allow you to master the ability to be guided by the voice of the Spirit. Our Father expects you to learn how to obtain that divine help by exercising faith in Him and His Holy Son, Jesus Christ. Were you to receive inspired guidance just for the asking, you would become weak and ever more dependent on Them. They know that essential personal growth will come as you struggle to learn how to be led by the Spirit.” Richard G Scott, Oct 2009.

- Your pat blessing says study the life of Joseph Smith. Do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment