Thursday, November 01, 2012
- Funny book quote“Anything I should, uh, know?”
“You’re expected not to know anything.”
Ah, then I might even exceed expectations. –The Blinding Knife
Friday, November 02, 2012
- Having your Bishop walk in and catch you red handed… in the middle of magnifying your calling, good feeling haha :D
- The problem with trying new Subway subs. If I picked the bread, the cheese, the veggies, and the condiments, how do I know if I even made it as intended?
Sunday, November 04, 2012
- Excellent home teaching quote in the priesthood manual I’d like to implement! “Each visit should focus on a planned purpose. Before visiting a home, companions pray together. They discuss ways they can strengthen those they will visit." (pg 42? Melchizedek priesthood section
- Home teach on other days of the week so people have the opportunity to feel the spirit on other days than Sunday.
- Text home teachee’s when dozing at work. Good way to chat with people when you need.
- So I failed Saturday. I had the whole day open until a birthday party in Salt Lake at 6:30. I had all sorts of good intentions to be useful. But all I did from 8-5:45 was listen to an audiobook I’ve already read, and play a flash game. I kept thinking I should at least go home and hang out at my parents place, but I didn’t until after the birthday party. I decided to sleep over there (Gambit slept with me! So worth it! Love home :) ) and I found out Mom missed me extra, Dad could have changed my oil, and Mason went to his first dance! And I missed the opportunity to be there and get excited with him!
So the next morning I left to get back for church, and as I was driving away, I felt like I should check our “grab from home” list. And “cereal” hit me hard. And I was like “am I being prompted to grab cereal? Nope, I’ll be late for church, that wouldn’t make any sense.” But I kept feeling prompted, and I totally failed to listen to promptings Saturday. So I was like “FINE!” and I went back. As mom was bringing out the cereal, I noticed my pee hose was totally twisted! And that would have been trouble! THAT’s what the prompting was about! Yay for following!
- So random thought inspired by Mason’s dating. He is mostly-officially dating his first girlfriend, who happens to be CJ’s first girlfriends younger sister, small world eh? Anyway, Mason has a goal to not kiss a girl until post-mission, or something along those lines. And he was taking Amy to their first dance, but he was afraid if she wanted him to kiss her he’d have to say no and it’d be awkward or what not. Anyway, on the date, Amy was like “we need to talk about something” and Mason was like “uh-oh”, and she basically conveyed “I know we’re dating but I don’t want to kiss yet, is that ok?” haha!* (*story retold from a secondhand account a month after hearing it). Anyway, the interesting part to me was, Mason was worried and didn’t want to kiss, so clearly he wasn’t putting pressure on her. Amy was feeling pressured enough to talk about it, so clearly she wasn’t putting kissing pressure on him. So who was? Society? Peers? Lame.
- I feel like Word should have the same level of spell correcting that smart phones do.
- I feel like I have bursts of random thoughts. I recognize partially why though. Thinking about interesting thoughts makes one receptive to more interesting thoughts. And when I finally flesh out my short note thoughts so I can post them, I’ve spent a bunch of time thinking, so I have a bunch more interesting thoughts right after I post. It’s usually not until after a cycle of a week or two of mindlessness and back to thoughtfulness that I finally post them though haha.
Monday, November 05, 2012
- I posted this today on FB:
“Today is my 8 year breakneckversary!!! In honor of this day, I will reduce all political posts on all of Facebook by 90% by the end of the week.
And Steve added this haha:
“Remember, remember the 5th of November. The wet shoes and injuries they brought. I know of no reason this break-necking season should ever be forgot.”
- “da Vinci once said: ‘You will never have a greater or lesser dominion than that over yourself.’ Then he goes on to say that ‘the height of a man’s success is gauged by his self-mastery; the depth of his failure by his self-abandonment.” –OTM 271
Friday, November 09, 2012
- Take time to think about what makes your dreams more enjoyable than real life, and change your life to fit.
Saturday, November 10, 2012
- So I had a slightly bad experience with Divine Comedy today. Well, it DC itself, the show was great, it just happened to be the venue. I tried organizing 9 people to meet at 5:00 and go in 2 cars. Instead people went in 3 cars closer to 6 and people kept needing directions and it was stressful lol. I used to love organizing groups and events, but I’m really not much of an organizer anymore ;/
- Also, I didn’t want to ask people who didn’t pay for their $5 haha. My justification is I spend money on other people for dates, but not these people. Like I owe everyone a little bit of money. Weird. I hate asking people for money though, even money they owe me.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
- I really really miss cuddling. I don’t know how it ended up so 100% out of my life, or how to get it back short of having a girlfriend. And a girlfriend appears to be something I still don’t get to have yet. Missing cuddling is a common theme lately though.
- Family singing is the best
Monday, November 12, 2012
- So I want to find some ways to exercise. Even just cardio. I think it’d be good for my blood flow. This morning I couldn’t sleep through bowel care, so I decided to hold up my arm and bounce it until it got tired. I did literally 1000 and my arm still didn’t burn :/ need to find something better haha.
- I was so excited to be at work today, I literally peed on the floor. Take THAT Monday!
- I should eat lunch with others at lunch, makes deciding where to eat practically meaningless to me.
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
- They laid off Naor, Chad, and Dinesh today. I was shocked. They said it’s because they didn’t have the skill sets the company needed for the changes going forward. But I know for a fact Chad and Naor are far more experienced than I. The only possible explanation is their talking about skills other than technology knowledge, or there’s a strong likeableness factor that had people defending me. Whatever the case I’m very grateful for the Lords hand in protecting me in this position. We went from 6 EDGE developers to 2 (one moved to another team).
Friday, November 16, 2012
- Showed up to work today with no shoes haha. Woops.
- Funny how some people dislike the attention in small settings but hate being ignored in large settings.
Saturday, November 17, 2012
- Mormon 1:16 The people were so wicked that Mormon was forbidden to preach by the Lord? Yikes! Looks like our society has a ways to fall yet sadly. It’s kind of nice that we know the world will fall so far though, it makes it much easier to find hope for the future knowing things are going as expected.
Sunday, November 18, 2012
- Reading through old institute notes, found this quote from Brother Bartholomue. "If I were the devil, I'd know I can't get the saints to sin. I'd just make them busy." Strikes home! What’s worse, I’m not even busy, and I’m still terrible at missionary efforts.
- if you knew the Savior was coming tomorrow, what would you do differently today?
how can I reach out and bring others to Christ?
Sunday, November 25, 2012
- As a family we were discussing with Ryan his objectives with the custody battle (that’s coming up late December). And there was a slightly contentious air. But Charie made a comment that instantly brought the spirit in and I was at peace with the topic afterwards. I really do want a girl like that.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
- I think I’d be more reluctant to marry a divorced 20 year old than a divorced 25 year old. If it’s right though I’d go for it either way :P
- read an Isaiah chapter until you learn a principle regularly.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
- To increase your desire to serve others, increase your testimony of the atonement. (Advice to Amber in MTC)
- Moroni 7:45 replace the word charity with your name to learn what you need to do to be more like Christ. “And Corby suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not his own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” Well let’s break this down! Note these all probably depend on the category/circumstance. But I don’t need to work on the stuff I’m already good at haha. I’m still far closer to the cocky end of the spectrum than the lack of self worth end. So don’t think I’m too down on myself for the comments below. I need to recognize my weaknesses before I can work on them no?
1- “And Corby suffereth long” –I have ups and downs with patience in dating. I have all sorts of good intentions to really study for 15 minutes minimum every day, but somehow almost every time I can barely ‘suffer’ 10 minutes of semi-attentive reading and I burn out. I feel like I could add more here but they aren’t coming to mind.
2- “and is kind” – Definitely could do better to reach out and fellowship others. I feel like the first month or so of moving somewhere new I’m really outgoing, but then I fall back into the comfort of the clicks I’ve created. I also always seem to have one person that can get on my nerves. Said person bore their testimony today and I kept thinking “just stop! You’re embarrassing yourself!” and I could do better.
3- “and envieth not” – um, maybe I’m ok here? There was a time I felt a bit of resentment seeing others get married, but none of that envy is focused at the individuals nowadays. And it’s much less as per previous dating ah-ha’s on this blog. I would love to play instruments again but that feels more like a longing than envy.
4- “and is not puffed up” – definitely guilty. I still put way more stock into my own opinions or the few people I really respect than I do into most anyone else’s. However the improvement I’ve had in this category I’d say is one of my most apparent personality differences between now me and high school me.
5- “seeketh not his own” – I really can’t think of anything I do regularly that’s for anyone but me. Even when I index or go to the temple, it’s more so I feel good about how I spent my time than it is about serving others. As always I really need to find more ways to serve.
6- “is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil” – Not much to add here besides not even having that one or two people that provoke me easily somehow. With the rest of my friends and family I’m usually pretty patient. Actually I’ve been a little short with CJ sometimes when I feel like he failed to communicate something important or left me waiting around unexpectedly for a while :/ I can improve there.
7- “rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth” – I certainly don’t rejoice in iniquity, but I’m not the best at rejoicing in truth either. I do love drawing people’s attention to the rare times when truth is spoken I popular media.
8- “beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things” – oh, just all things? EASY! Ok fine, dating, the difficulty of independence, dealing with money, dealing with insurance, dealing with health, all things I’m likely to be bothered about weekly. Believeth all things I feel I have a decent logical grasp, but not a deep enough confidence in that faith to act like I believe or hope for the help from the things listed above. Not completely consistently anyway.
Whew, that was cathartic.
Sunday, December 02, 2012
- do I often feel like I don't have the spirit with me because I need to learn to do the right things even without? Sounds weird to me.
- I always tell people in life to focus on utilizing their strengths rather than dwelling on their weaknesses. I think I need to do better focus on utilizing spiritual strengths rather than dwelling on spiritual weaknesses. As long as my weaknesses aren’t perpetuating sins of commission, then it’s better to dig in powerfully where I serve best rather than try to make sure I can barely do a little bit of everything.
- Parable of the loaf of bread. To make dough into bread, it needs to be kneaded, beaten, and cooked. Probably not fun for the dough. Our lives are often like this :D